Faculty of Applied Sciences
The Faculty of Applied Sciences at the University of Malawi—The Polytechnic offers 30 programs, including diplomate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. It is organized into four distinct but related departments, namely: Computer and Information Technology, Environmental Health, Mathematics and Statistics, and Physics and Biochemical Sciences. Altogether, the departments offer programs that cover the breadth and scope of the applied sciences.
Academic Members of Staff
Educated in Malawi and abroad, the dedicated academic members of staff under this faculty do not only teach modules in their respective departments but also service departments in other faculties at the Polytechnic. Notably, they conduct research that is both theoretical and applicable. For instance, research conducted in the Environmental Health Department on fecal sludge and other environmental issues has influenced government policies on environmental management. Also, they are actively involved in collaborative efforts with non-governmental organizations, the Malawi government, foreign governments, and faculty at other universities. Research conducted by academic members of staff in this faculty has been published in national and international journals.
The Centre for Water, Sanitation, Health and Appropriate Technology Development (WASHTED) is housed under the faculty. The importance and relevance of this centre to research and other collaborative consultancies cannot be overemphasized. It has a team of researchers assembled from virtually every faculty at the Polytechnic. Moreover, although it operates from the Polytechnic Main Campus, it has a national and even global reach and impact, as it is engaged in issues to do with access to potable water, environmental management and protection, and renewable energy, just to name a few.
Mphatso Kamndaya biosketch
Mphatso Kamndaya holds a Ph.D. in Public Health from the School of Public Health at the University of the Witwatersrand and received postgraduate training in Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the same institution. He is a Cohort 1 graduate of the Consortium of Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) and currently holds a CARTA re-entry Fellowship. He completed two post-doctoral research fellowships – one on the Wellbeing of Adolescents in Vulnerable Environments (WAVE) study at the Reproductive Health and HIV Research Institute (Wits RHI) and another on the Migration and Health Project Southern Africa (maHp) at the African Centre for Migration and Society (ACMS) both at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
His engagement with research on wellbeing of adolescents in vulnerable environments included his doctoral research (completed in 2015) that explored context-specific measures of deprivation of material resources and links to risk of HIV acquisition among young people in Malawi and South Africa. His research involves mixed methodologies, including cross-sectional household surveys and public policy analysis. With an explicit focus on generating research to inform improved responses to adolescent sexual and reproductive health – particularly for marginalized adolescents and residents of informal settlements – he is committed to developing ways to ensure that the voice of those affected is heard by policymakers and programme implementers. He has a strong interest in impact evaluation and the ways in which research responds to the needs of society, and how research is translated and taken up into practice. Linked to this, he has been involved in multiple longitudinal, mixed-method impact evaluations examining the impacts of social protection programmes on adolescent well-being and health as part of the Transfer Project in sub-Saharan Africa with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) office of research.
Faculty of Applied Sciences Programmes
- Diploma in Industrial Laboratory Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science & Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial Laboratory Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematical Sciences Education
- Master of Science in Water Resources and Supply Management (MWRSM)
- Master of Science in Environmental Protection and Management (MEPM)
- Master of Science in Environmental Health (MEH)
- Master of Philosophy in Applied Sciences (Industrial Process Technology)
- Master of Philosophy in Applied Sciences (Environmental Protection and Management)
- Master of Philosophy in Applied Sciences (Environmental Health)
- PhD and Master of Philosophy in Applied Sciences (Environmental Sanitation)
- PhD and Master of Philosophy in Applied Sciences (Renewable Energy)
- PhD in Applied Sciences (Public Health Engineering)
- PhD in Applied Sciences (Information Technology)
- Bachelor of Electronics and Telecommunications Eng (Hons)
- Bachelor of Science Mathematical Sciences Education (Mathematics and Computing)
- Bachelor of Science Mathematical Sciences Education (Mathematics and Statistics)
- Bachelor of Science Mathematical Sciences Education (Statistics and Computing)
- PhD In Applied Sciences (Industrial Process Technology)
- Bachelor of Food Science and Technology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Statistics
- Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Mathematics
- Master of Philosophy in Applied Mathematics